<$BlogRSDUrl$>

1.14.2004

It is time for stormy weather
I like weather a lot. Large-scale forces of nature unceasingly sweep over the earth and remind us we are but a miniscule and helpless part of this planet, etc.

It's a terrible interest for me, though, because I'm lousy at science. I took a meteorology class in college and did all right, but I couldn't get my brain around certain concepts. (No, really, lapse rates were a bitch. Look at this.) After that, I gave up on understanding weather and stuck with the basics. Sun hot. Thunder loud. Lightning pretty. (Joolie stupid.)

That makes me sad.

I think weather in general is a dullard's topic anyway, the all-purpose conversation for people who either don't want to talk to each other or are particularly taken with the obvious:

Nice day.
Mmmhmm, it's real pretty out.
(Silence.)
Well, talk to you later.
Yep, you be good now.

Or:
Looks like rain.
Well, I sure hope so, because my lawn looks terrible. It's all crunchy and brown, and oh! there's my bus; see you in hell, you creepy drunk-at-eight-a.m. weather-talking bozo.

That sort of thing makes me sad too.

Which is why I love Jim Spencer. Jim Spencer would never be boring about the weather. He understands lapse rates, and he loves to talk about precipitation. His eyes were practically rolling back in his head tonight when he was talking about the excellent chance for rain over the next three days. His voice trembled as he discussed the temperature; he really, really wanted us to appreciate the anomaly with him. "That's right. Sixty-two degrees, folks. At 10 p.m. In January."

Really, he is so cute. It's just a rain system. But when he finished the forecast and triumphantly handed the newscast back to the anchor, she sort of rolled her eyes and gave him an dismissive "Thanks, Jim." Like he was just the biggest dork in the world and it was about time he stopped babbling because her stupid passionless teaser about the responsibilities of the Ice Bats' captain was so fucking vital. Just thinking about it makes me sad all over again, and now I hate her.

Anyway, here are some weather sites if you're interested. I'm going to sit on my porch with a drink and watch the rain come in until I have to go to bed.

The Weather Channel
Skywarn Texas
The National Weather Service's storm prediction page
Real-time lightning strikes in Central Texas
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?